In 1996, The Charter School of Wilmington opened its doors as one of the first independent public charter schools in the United States. The high school offers a college preparatory program with a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics focus.
The Charter School of Wilmington is committed to creating a welcoming culture and inclusive environment that reflects and supports the diversity of our community. We support a school environment free from discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, or disability.
Innovation and Accolades
- The Charter School of Wilmington has a dedicated Nanotechnology Lab and a Fluid Mechanics PumpLab™.
- The Charter School of Wilmington is ranked #1 on Niche’s 2021 Best Public High School in Delaware.
- The Charter School of Wilmington is ranked #15 on the Best High Schools List for Charter High Schools in the nation by U.S. News & World Report (April 2021).
- The Charter School of Wilmington is a National Blue Ribbon School designated by the U.S. Department of Education (September, 2013 and September, 2019).
Charter Continues to Increase College Exposures and Post Advanced Placement Experiences…
Post AP Classes
- Calculus 3
- Differential Equations
- Fluid Mechanics
- Modern Physics
- Embedded Systems
- University of Delaware and Learning Lab online courses (when requested)
Research Opportunities at CSW
- Junior Research
- Neuro Currents Magazine
- 8 Published Research Papers – As of 5/16, relative to research starting in 2011, nine research papers have been completed and submitted to international conferences in the areas of CS and CS Education.
- Three 3D printers
- Nanotechnology Lab – includes scanning electron microscope, atomic force microscope, scanning tunneling microscope, and manual sputter coater
- Educational MRI/NMR
- Binocular LCD Microscopes
- PCR Thermocycler
- Five Spectrophotometers
- Fluid Dynamics Pump Lab
- Renovated Freshmen Physics Lab
- ING Computer Science Research Lab
- Junior Research Program
Innovative STEM Electives
- Vertebrate Zoology
- Genetics and Epidemiology
- Organic Chemistry
- Introduction to Nanotechnology
- Math and Politics
- Financial Literacy
- Web Application Development
Assessment Inventory Project